The bedroom can be changed into a romantic refuge that is loaded with the charm of an English garden. Individual touches, classic cottage details, and mixes of materials and patterns prompted by a fashionable English garden combine together to create the ideal spot for lovers. Take these hints and personalize them to create the area your own.
Informal and Light
Create the idyllic cottage setting for your bedroom with luxuriously textured walls. Dappled cottage wallpaper, or wallpapers in larger ethereal stripes or florals supply a checked setting. Another good thought is to apply beaded board painted in creamy tones of white or classical cottage wainscoting. Run it half-way or three-quarters of the way up the wall and top it with a chair rail or a small shelf. Top the shelf with garden themed collectibles, vases, and plates.
Bed, Linens & Furnishings
The centerpiece or focal point of the room will be the bed, whether it is made of natural wood, forged iron, or covered with material. Top a spotted dust ruffle with a double wedding ring or checked comforter. Textiles like chenille, lace and cotton can be mixed up and superimposed in patterns. Of course you will want to use some floral patterns, but also mix in stripes, tartans and checks. Colors that fall within the same hue saturation will give a pulled together feel. White or lightly colored walls will impart a stand out look to accessories and linen. Gingham checks and solids, striped and plaid patterns as well as floral wall paper that features accent colors of the room is also a remarkable choice. You can even mix various floral patterns if they are associated by color and style.
Try a unique look in the bedroom by angling the bed in a niche. Break out of the box and soften the lines of the room with a bed, furniture or mirror with graceful curved lines in the headboard, vanity or wall mirror.
Garden Fresh Accents add Romance
* Layer white table dressings for a old-fashioned look on the vanity. Add a couple of matching silver champagne glasses stuffed with pink wines, a collection of family photos, silver jewelry box and an elegant glass base table lamp.
* Make a statement with garden themed wall decorating ideas, such as a collection of straw garden hats and floral plates. A straw hat placed on a hat stand on the corner table with more hats hanging behind it creates an idyllic grouping. Add a tea pot or sugar bowl full of your favorite blooms.
* Details count. Dry lavendar hanging in bunches from a glass knobbed closet or room door is a nice touch. Place a collection of floral and striped hat boxes on top of an armoire. A topiary on the bureau seeps English garden charm. Supply aromatherapy with candles and potpourri in floral fragrances.
* Add architectural pieces from yesteryear to bestow garden themed hints. Suggestions include an antiquated wrought iron fence grating makes a different focal point on a wall or as a headboard; perch antiquated birdhouses atop work posts for a whimsical statement in a corner.
* Make the feel clearly individual by repurposing garden details in the bedroom. A plant stand cuddled in a reading nook that holds a few potted plants brings much charm. Transform a larger urn or other container with a glass top to repurpose it as a side table or night stand. Turn a painted flower pot into a captivating candle holder.
* Bring in outdoor decor such as a statuary or a bird bath. Impart the sound of lightly running water by setting a tabletop fountain in a birdbath.